The Apocalypse is not meant to be decoded, as so many seem to want to do. It is written to depict the nature of the long battle between good and evil, between God and Satan. The images are not literal; they are evocative. And provocative.
By reading Revelation, Christians should understand
- the temptation to compromise with the world system is always prevalant
- God wants Christians to remain faithful and loyal to him, despite the outside pressure
- the battle is long and hard, but God assures us he is victorious
- if you trust God and are loyal to him, you will believe in his victory and remain aligned with him
- thus, we also are victorious
- so, hang in there.
Leave the decoding to people with too much time on their hands and not enough imagination. Just walk with Jesus, witness to him, remain faithful. That’s all.